Battery R&D Researcher
South Korea, Cheonan UMK
Rechargeable Battery Materials
Research & Development
Posted on 09-08-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
The Battery Research Researcher(in-depth analysis) will conduct battery analysis for contributing the product development by providing a decisive evidence through cooperative work with materials team. Work scope consists of analytical experiment, revision of the existing SOP to provide material discrimination analysis such as structural analysis, gas analysis, image analysis, surface analysis involving material analysis and battery cell analysis for material development and battery performance. Li-ion battery fundamental understanding including joint development with internal and external collaborators.
1. Development of advanced battery analytical systems
- Perform various battery analysis necessary to support material development (analysis of positive/negative active materials, electrodes, electrolytes, battery)
- Establishment and supplementation of advanced analysis methods to align with customer needs and to develop positive materials
- Alignment between customer and Umicore’s analytical method (results)
- Provide with analysis tools for relation studies amongst raw materials, electrodes, and full cell properties
2. Interpret analytical data of battery
- Provides advanced interpretation of battery test results performed for material evaluation
- Draft material evaluation report for PTE / OPS (Internal stakeholders)
3. Collaboration with internal/external organization
- Follow-up of collaborations with internal and external collaborator
- Provide a solution with an analytical perspective to the customer for development of materials
4. Battery fundamental understanding
- Electrochemistry based analysis (CV, EIS etc.)
- Knowledge of composition of Li ion battery (cathode, anode, electrolyte etc.)
- Investigation on relation between material property and battery performance
5. Lab management responsibilities
- Equipment maintenance
- Analytical method responsibilities
- Room responsibility and 5S
Who we are looking for
- Master degree in chemistry, chemical engineering,.etc with 0~2 years of experience in related field.
- Good understanding of X-ray analytical instruments (XPS, XENS, XAFS etc.)
- Good understanding of Image analysis (SEM, TEM, FIB etc.)
- Good understanding of manufacturing process and equipment for battery
- Good understanding of cathode material (especially, structure of cathode, crystalline)
- Data mining skill to find the relation between coin and full cells.
- Good communication skill in both Korean English & Korean
- Strong sense of responsibility
- Good team player
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If our battery materials can boost the range of e-cars, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?