South Korea, Cheonan UMK
New Business Incubation
Posted on 30-09-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About New Business Incubation
Umicore’s commitment to creating a sustainable future relies on innovation in all areas of business. As we keep pushing our boundaries and strive to set new industry standards, embracing advanced technologies has never been more essential. By finding these technologies we can navigate challenges and enhance our capabilities. By sharing different ideas, we can develop new business units or establish new divisions within our organisation. This is where contribution and collaboration are the drivers of real change. Where individual thought is identified, incubated and nurtured for growth in years to come. There is still so much potential waiting to be unearthed. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
As innovation is at the heart of our business, there is a need for an experienced and professional IP team to protect and manage Umicore's intellectual property rights. As IP Manager within this team you will be responsible for the legal aspects of intellectual property. You will work closely with colleagues in the Rechargeable Battery Materials (RBM) business unit, who deal with its technical and commercial aspects.
Your main tasks will be intellectual property generation, freedom-to-operate and advising on specific matters.
• Steering regular meetings with inventors
• Ensure that the management of inventions and their development is in line with the IP strategy of the business unit
• Drafting patent applications, filing them with patent offices and overseeing their proper prosecution
• Provide the necessary input to improve or develop new processes in support of RBM's IP strategy
• Conduct FTO clearings on a global level according to a systematically developed methodology
• Coordinate legal actions internally/with external agents to provide legal advice and determine appropriate actions
• Preparation of patent invalidity and/or infringement opinions, with a particular focus on Korean patents and patent applications
Advising on the following matters
• Assistance with IP enforcement, e.g. infringement assessment and defensive invalidation
• Contractual matters involving IP rights, such as JDA, RDA, M&A
• Providing IP training for inventors
The IP department is organised flat so that IP managers have the opportunity to fully engage with their internal clients.
You will be immersed in the rechargeable battery materials business to learn about their technologies and business objectives.
In your role, you will report to the Director of Intellectual Property in Germany. Your main location will be Cheonan,
with occasional travel to Belgium and Germany.
Umicore recognizes the value of IP and the contribution you provide. In return, you will receive some of the most structured career development and professional support available within the industry, values which Umicore believe ensure career longevity
Who we are looking for
• You are a qualified Korean patent attorney or already far in the process to acquire such qualification
• Currently you might be working in private practice, seeking new challenges in an industrial environment?
• Your technical background will be a Master’s or PhD degree in either material science or chemistry
• Experience with rechargeable battery materials and their application is definitely a plus for this position
• Fluency in English is essential as you engage with multiple nationalities across the globe
• Needless to say that you are a team player – IP in Umicore is real teamwork involving colleagues from various disciplines
• Your communication skills will be one of your strengths as you will be dealing with a wide variety of people: One day you will have discussions with inventors, engineers and project managers; the next day you will sit on a steering committee with business teams; then again you will advise legal teams involved in joint development agreements on general IP issues
• You have excellent negotiation skills to coordinate the decision making process in IP matters
• Authenticity, open-mindedness, respect and integrity are not just words for you, but part of (y)our very DNA
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?